Tuesday, July 1, 2014

Sewings

I've been looking at a lot of refashion blogs on the internet this week and really admired these peoples' ability to take something they found at a thrift shop and turn it into an absolute treasure. I spend so much time at our local thrift shop that I practically live there as the thrift shop troll so I thought I'd give it a try! If you can save all that money by just finding something cheap and ugly and turning it awesome, why not?
First thing I realized is that I am 100% NOT the sewing prodigy I thought I would be. I definitely cannot sew a straight line to save my life. But hey! This one actually turned out relatively well when you keep all that in mind. I've got two more dresses that I'm working on so posts about them will probably come later.

So here was the lovely dress beforehand.
It was long, too big, and riddled with all sorts of holes but I loooved the color and the patterns.
SO...
I removed the GIANT shoulder pads, brought in the waist, and shortened the sleeves and the hemline, and added in a zipper so that I could actually get the thing on which resulted in:


This is a lovely work selfie I took while balancing my phone awkwardly on a large stack of papers. HIGH CLASS! Also I'm standing in front of a garbage can. DOUBLE HIGH CLASS!

Anyway, I'm pretty happy with it. Here's the pattern on the chest that made me fall in love:
Good times, good times. It turned out far better than I thought it would! Tallyho!

No comments:

Post a Comment